Our friends at Innovation PEI recently announced almost $700,000 in funding for 14 PEI companies through their Pilot and Discovery and Development and Communities funds, which are aimed at helping ventures take their products from concept to market.
Four PEI bioscience companies and researchers – 3 of them Emergence incubator clients – will benefit from these funds to continue R & D and commercialization efforts, including:
- Emergence client, The Canadian Centre for Aquaculture Technologies Canada (CATC)
- Emergence client, Island Water Technologies
- Emergence client, Nautilus Biosciences Canada Inc.
- Dr. Mark Fast, Atlantic Veterinary College
Eight companies will receive grants from the Pilot and Discovery Fund (out of 22 applications received) – which supports projects in their earliest stages.
Six companies will receive grants from the Development and Commercialization Fund (out of 20 applications received), which is intended for projects that have moved beyond the pilot phase and are ready for full commercial production.
Of the applicants to Innovation PEI’s Pilot and Discovery Fund, successful Emergence clients include:
- Nautilus Biosciences Canada Inc.: Nautilus Biosciences Canada Inc. aims to discover and develop bioactive agents from its in-house marine microbial library. Its discovery efforts are closely aligned with the needs of industry partners who are leaders in the pharmaceutical and personal care industries, and will work on the development of a novel platform for production of anti-inflammatory terpenes.
Of the applicants to Innovation PEI’s Development and Commercialization Fund, successful Emergence clients include:
- Centre for Aquaculture Technologies Canada: Center for Aquaculture Technologies Canada operates as a contract research organization primarily focused on aquaculture and more specifically focused on providing services in diagnostics and molecular biology, breeding and genetics, as well as contract research services including fish health and nutrition. Dr. Debbie Plouffe and her team will develop and validate challenge models for important fish pathogens in recirculation.
- Island Water Technologies Inc.: Island Water Technologies Inc. is a PEI based wastewater technology company specializing in developing self-powered, self-operating treatment solutions. As part of their unique solution they have developed a bio-computer technology platform that allows for real-time communication with the active biology in a wastewater treatment system.